Sunday, 25 July 2004

How very 'tourist'


Changing the guard

So our holiday is over and as ever I'm heard, post holiday, procrastinating about the fact that it only seems like a day or two since we left….....I'm reliably informed that it is age that does that but I beg to differ!

We had a wonderful time and as is always the case have arrived home needing a break to recover! The opportunity close at hand of so many things to do and be fitted into a short space of time necessitates that we sleep little!

The best aspect of our forays South is that I get to see my parents and a large proportion of our time is spent 'catching up' and gossiping, we do of course keep in regular contact via the various forms of technology available on a day to day basis but face to face is just so much nicer.

We were lucky on this occasion with our traveling, the journeys both North and Southbound where reasonably uneventful save for one overturned lorry on the M1 and a rather 'interesting' moment when PG, attempting to take evasive action to avoid an incident in front of us, managed a four wheel lock and a rather inelegant sashay sideways across three lanes accompanied by the less than musical sound of 2000 miles being scraped from my tyres in a nanosecond! It was of course the others guy's fault! Hmmmm.

We managed through my fathers military standard organizational skills (you have to know him to hear the family *groan* in that statement) to fit many things into our few days. I of course made the most of the opportunity for some serious retail therapy, contrary to what one is led to believe most things are cheaper in the South than they are up here in Scotland and one just has to 'make hay while the sun shines'! A holiday staying with relatives is supposed to be less financially challenging than most holidays but somehow it never seems to be the case!

We have in PG a wonderful excuse to 'do' all the tourist things that we did years ago all over again!. Despite living in London for two years in his early 20’s he didn't do anything more than work and live the 'Men Behaving Badly' lifestyle and so now loves to see the sights etc. For my part there is nowhere like London, I could wander the streets just taking in the sounds, smells and atmosphere for days on end. There is nowhere as diverse or cosmopolitan and even the Tube has it attractions ......though I could have lived without rush hour in 28 degrees.

I will bore you with a rough itinerary of the week in a later post but for now I have to make some semblance of order of the 300 or so photographs I came back with answer some emails and get to the washing machine etc!

2 Comments:

Jennytc said...

28 degrees??? You were lucky! As you will see from my new 'weather pixie,' the weather here is more like late autumn! Still, glad you have had a good holiday if not a rest :) Will let you know if Kathy ever gets back to me with a backache remedy.

gemmak said...

Well the 28 degrees seemed only to last for the latter half of one day and specifically targeted the time we had to be squished on the tube! It remained resonably hot tho for a few days :o)
I will go and investigate the weather pixie....is this something else I'm going to have to include?? hehe