Saturday, 31 July 2004

Blood, rain and work.

PG had barely walked through the door last night, 'post golf' before he managed to cut his finger quite significantly, attempting to open a packet of something frozen. One moment I was peacefully watching TV and the next was assailed by a high volume string of expletives issuing from the kitchen. Let me tell you here I do not 'do' blood' ! In this case I had no choice. There was some discussion as to whether the injury required stitching but given that the digit in question still operates fine and he has no care if his finger retains a scar it was decided by himself that it did not, makeshift steri-strips and a dressing where duly applied and that was the end of it as far as he is concerned..... I wonder how much of that decision was based on the 80 mile round trip to A&E??. Arghhhh, This guy works with the severely disabled, one of which has MRSA and I would be happier had he seen a professional but he knows what he's doing (apparently) so I bow to his judgment! Hmmmmm.

So role of Florence Nightingale over It's back to work for me today and I can barely imagine how I will wind myself up again to take on the inevitable onslaught!

For those reading this who haven't seen what's gone before, I only work two or three days a week and the less I do the harder it seems to become to get back into 'the groove'. My life is two extremes, at home most of the week I have this wonderful laid back lifestyle where I barely need to know what day it is and on the weekend I have to fire on all cylinders for 9 hours at a time.

The summer it appears was brief, the temperature dropped significantly overnight and it rained yet again ( well this is Scotland!) tho 'oregon Scientific' promises better to come! I would not be without this little gadget, I have used it for years and it really works. On the up side, with the arrival of the rain came the departure of the flies.

Suffice to say don't expect too much here until Monday! I really don't know how those bloggers among us who work full time manage to fit this in.....well, with the exception of those lucky souls who can blog from work!

11 Comments:

Jennytc said...

Sorry - Maybe I missed something but how does anyone end up with a severely cut finger from trying to open a (cardboard? plastic?) container from the freezer??? :)
....even for a man, that must be difficult!! :)

Jennytc said...

Sorry - Maybe I missed something but how does anyone end up with a severely cut finger from trying to open a (cardboard? plastic?) container from the freezer??? :)
....even for a man, that must be difficult!! :)

magz said...

he he he... i gotta agree with jenny.... but still sympathasiz with the Mr. it's a dang good thing I aint sqeamish.... with all the critters (and beerdrinkers) around here...my medical kit and training includes up to stitching and broken bone setting. i'm know as auntie DR. magz.....so red... whilst yer slaving away in the store bossing the peons... im still out here playing. he he he....Happy Weekend!

BeFrank said...

Being a man, I'm greatly offended by the tone of these comments. I don't deny the implications and have more than my fair share of scar tissue from epic battles with inanimate objects (all designed to kill or maim men). Maybe offended is the wrong word. Oops, I have cut myself on my office chair and I must seek medical attention and sympathy.

BeFrank said...

. . .and beer.

gemmak said...

Jenny: you didn't misunderstand it was me not making the situation clear.......it was a vacuum packed product and he was opening it with a steak knife! Oh...and Keith is right it isn't a 'lived in look', hence my saying ultra tidy is perhaps not ideal :o)

Magz: I'm better than I used to be on the squeamish front but I admire your ability to stitch, it would have to be a life threatening situation for me to even attempt that. Just back from the slaving, back again at 07.30 and them off again :o) Happy weekend to you too.

beFrank: I'm confused again! I'm not sure if your tone was sarcastic or serious but my intent was not an 'anti man' post rather an 'anti me' post regarding my perhaps over concern, when to PG the injury was dealt with and 'no big deal'. Whatever if I offended you I apologise......and I owe you a beer! :o)

Terri said...

I'm new to blogging. Just started one last week actually and somehow stumbled on beFrank and from there found my way here!

I don't know if I'll ever figure all this blogging/posting stuff out - I'm not very computer savvy, but I just wanted to say I have enjoyed your posts and look forward to reading more!

To stitch or not to stitch...not knowing what your emergency rooms are like there I can only comment that here in the US you could bleed to death in the lobby of an ER. I have found a trick though - as a 50 year old woman I not long ago went into the ER with chest pains (just a gall bladder "thing" and I ended up having it removed) - heart is fine - BUT, boy did I get immediate attention.

I've decided in the future, even if I stumble in with only a cut finger, or injured knee, I might just say "Dr. I was cutting open a frozen package of peas when I got this sudden chest pain! As I went to grab my chest, my hand slipped and I cut my finger and by the way, did I mention, I'm having chest pains?!"

I can tell you I got a lot of attention and quick!

BTW, I too don't "do blood" or any bodily fluids. Fortunately for me my husband does but has no expections of return sympathy or attention.


http://deepthoughtsfuzzymemories.blogspot.com/

JGirten said...

Hey there, Thank you for taking a look at my sight, I really appreciate it and will make sure to update it more often and make it more interesting for you.. ha ha.. I also want to thank you for the words of encouragement.. I am going through a lot right now and hope to be able to get everything under control.. I have to run now and I guess that is my biggest problem, I always seem to be running, I guess that is why I like to run now, ha ha can't really be on the swim.. ha ha I crack myself up..

Have a great day and thank you agin for visiting my sight. By the way, how did you find your way to my sight?

J

magz said...

he he he... well red... looks like yer picking up on several of my favorite men! jeff's a sweetie... and cute too.... and bryan... well, he is pullin yer leg. he's american. he's male. that's humor dear flower! beFrank, the beer's on me (literally, cat just spilled mine) happy weekend!

riskybiz said...

C'mon, he could of lost his finger, us guys need sympathy.

gemmak said...

JGirten: Your site is already interesting don't add to your stress! lol and I found you via magzfarm I think.

Magz: I do don't I :o).....I'm not complaining!! :o)

Terri: Thanks for the comment, you will get the hang of it, just had a quick look at your site, lookes really interesting :o) back later to read more. Emergency rooms here I think are quite different but I wont go into that now, will maybe post on that one another time.

Riskbiz: He got sympathy, that was my point, hehe, I was playing 'Florence' and he was completely unfazed wondering why I was so concerned. Lol.